Friday 27 May 2011

Sopra for lunch

This is the first time we've been to Cafe Sopra since head chef Andy Bunn had moved on. Thankfully, as far as we mug punters go, you'd be flat out knowing he was gone. Whoever has taken over hasn't fiddled with the menu too much and all the old favourites are still on. Having said that when I saw a new special, fried liver, I had to try it. I used to hate liver as a kid. It was usually foul of taste and had the consistency of rubber. Sorry mum. Back in 2007 I accidentally ordered liver in a restaurant in Lyon. I think it was one of Paul Bocuse's Nordsud Brasseries - Le Nord or Le Sud or L'Este or L'Ouest. My French skills are sorely lacking when it comes to translating menus and I mentioned to Michelle as long as we don't get offal I should be okay. Oops. But the liver dish I got was exquisite so I'm not quite as afraid of being served up liver as I once was. This fried liver, while not the delicate exquisite meal of Paul Bocuse, was pretty bloody good.

Pan fried liver on spuds.

Vitello tonnato.

Bresaola, gala apple, parmesan cheese, green salad.

Eton mess

Creme brulee.

Macaron heaven just down the road from Cafe Sopra at Patisse. Patisse's macarons, especially the salty caramel macarons, are as good as Adriano Zumbo's. Maybe they aren't as adventurous (or weird) as Zumbo as far as flavours go but for straight freshness and taste they're second to none.


Patisse is in the PYD Building 197 Young Street Waterloo.

Cafe Sopra is in Fratelli Fresh 7 Danks Street Waterloo and has been awarded one Chef's Hat by the Good Food Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment